Standing Tall

The story of a 6'10(2.08m) disabled man as he copes with the challenges of life with disabilities.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Those of you who follow Canadian news sources may have noticed a few days ago, that once again Tracy Latimer's murderer (her father) was in the news. He's asking for a new trial because he deserves to be free. Apparently the courts haven't been lenient enough on him with his early day parole. I make no bones about my dislike of sympathy for the man. He is every bit the murderer and justice applies just as much in this case as in any other murder.

A few days later I came across this article: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/05/09/cas-chemotherapy.html

I'm struggling on what to think. How much difference is there between this boy's father and Tracy's killer? At the same time, who has the right to control the treatments a person receives.

This is a child who is fully capable of communicating. Granted, he is young, but if the father is to be believed then the boy has been an active participant in the decision not to pursue treatment. I don't know where the line is.

My experiences with Chemotherapy/ Radiation / Bone Marrow Transplants are second hand and rather personal. My father contracted cancer of the bone marrow when I was five and died when I was thirteen. The ultimate cause of death was side effects from the particular chemotherapy he was on at the time. He was one of the first people to use it.

I'm not a neutral observer and am torn in many ways. The article leaves me with more questions and a deep desire to understand the nuances of the situation because it seems such an impossible choice. I can only hope an pray for the best for all those involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home