Standing Tall

The story of a 6'10(2.08m) disabled man as he copes with the challenges of life with disabilities.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Gah! Way to long since my last post. Seems like one thing after another the last few weeks and I still haven't gotten into the habit of Bloging regularly. The holidays went pretty well.

I'm now back in Canada. The flight was hellish but that's the sad reality of travel for me. I've been watching the Transport Canada ruling on Carers' fares and was glad to see that the needs of People with Disabilities are being met in this. I know from experience, how much easier it is for me to travel when my wife is with me.

A big one is how much less pain I'm in. While airlines and airports will provide a certain amount of assistance there is always at least a bit of carrying and lifting luggage. I can do it, but it means pain. Likewise the issue of getting carry on down from the bins is a hassle. I need bulkhead seating so my bag has to be up top and lifting it down is a fast way to plenty of pain. Flight attendants will help but it means waiting on their terms which can take a while.

Having my wife travel with me also reduces my stress level a lot. I spend the journey hopped up on painkillers. This means I'm not at my mental best. Trying to act as my own advocate for seating and assistance to the gates in a timely matter is a lot more difficult than I'd like. Having someone who's in full control of their faculties, and frankly just plain better at being assertive, is a huge relief to me.

Knowing that in the future I'll be able to arrange a carer so I can travel more comfortably and not pay an arm and a leg is a godsend. I'll be keeping a close eye on where things go from here. I love to travel and anything that makes getting from place to place is a winner in my books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home