Standing Tall

The story of a 6'10(2.08m) disabled man as he copes with the challenges of life with disabilities.

Monday, December 17, 2007

Pet Peeve 18

I’ve got a major set of posts in the works but Christmas shopping this weekend has left me too worn out to put the proper concentration into them. Its also left me irked. In the realms of thoughtless things able bodied people do this is pretty minor. None the less it irks me that cashiers feel the need to hand me my change, receipt and purchase all at once and often get annoyed when I need a moment to sort everything out.

I walk with a cane. The more tired I get the more reliant on it I become. That pretty much ties up one of my hands. Ever tried holding a bag and using a cane in the same hand? It doesn’t work very well. Even a little bit of weight in the bag throws everything off.

This means that I have one hand to accept my change, sort coins from bills and get it all into my wallet. That same hand has to transfer the receipt somewhere useful. On top of that I then have to arrange the purchase in a way that I can actually carry it (for some reason I get weird looks for hanging a row of grocery bags off my forearm).

Needless to say I can’t do this all at once. Having everything pushed at me all at once tends to result in money and receipts being hastily shoved into pockets and bags gripped awkwardly. So far i haven’t dropped any purchases or lost more than a coin or two. i’m convinced that one of these days I’m just going to leave a trail of money behind me.

As I say, I know this is a pretty minor pet peeve. Still, its one of mine. Stay tuned for something a little more thought out, just as soon as my brain comes back on line.

Roar!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home